Back to post

What you need to know when you fall in a public place*

Posted in [Blog Personal Injury Litigation ] on Monday, September 1st, 2014

People frequently fall in public places and receive injuries, which injuries may arise from wet, slippery or defective floors in shops, offices, schools, restaurants, car parks, bars or night clubs.

The type of injury sustained can range from the most trivial to the most severe.  We frequently encounter people who have broken limbs, sore backs, or suffer head injuries.  If you have such an accident while on public property, which is not your fault, then you may be entitled to compensation. The compensation you may receive will include a sum to compensate you for the pain and suffering endured together with all expenses (including loss of earnings, medical bills etc.).

It is the position that those responsible for public areas have a duty to protect you from injury.  If you are injured in an accident in a public place, then the first question to be considered is whether the duty to protect you from such an accident has been breached. If you fall/slip on a spillage in a shop, restaurant or bar environment, the question to be asked is whether the owner has an adequate system of cleaning in place to clean up such a spillage in as efficient a manner as possible.

In the event that you are injured in such an accident as described above, it is important that you advise the owner or staff member of the fact of your fall and of your injury.  If possible, try and obtain photographic evidence of where you fell and get the names and addresses of any witnesses to your fall. It is important also for you to keep a note of all expenses incurred arising out of the slip, trip or fall in question.

If you have been involved in a slip/fall type accident, contact us at Cantillons Solicitors for legal advice as to whether you are entitled to make a claim for injuries suffered in such an incident.   We have extensive experience in dealing with such claims.   There are strict time limits to bringing such claims (i.e. two years from the date of accident) and it is advisable to consult us in relation to such an accident sooner rather than later.

Contact us at Cantillons Solicitors at +353 (0)21 -4275673 or if you would like more information on making a personal injury claim.

* In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage of any award or settlement.

How can we help?

We are always happy to accommodate you at a time and place that best suits your needs.

We have Solicitors based in various locations, including Cork, Limerick and Dublin. We can arrange a meeting at a location that is suitable to you.

If you would like to speak to a member of our team outside of office hours then please contact us using the form below. We are happy to accommodate a virtual consultation, via Zoom or otherwise also.

If you have a query send us a message…

    Website by Doodle